television

Television Station GTV9 Melbourne Australia

A collection of images, stories and memories.

Home 1956_1969 1970_1979 Reunions Stories Contact
television
GTV9 was amongst the first television stations to begin regular transmission in Australia. Test transmissions began on 27 September 1956, introduced by former 3DB radio announcer Geoff Corke, based at the Mount Dandenong transmitter, as the studios in Richmond were not yet ready. The station covered the 1956 Summer Olympics which Melbourne hosted, the 1956 Carols By Candlelight, and the Davis Cup tennis as part of its test transmissions. The station was officially opened on 19 January 1957 by Victorian Governor Sir Dallas Brooks from the studios in Bendigo Street, Richmond.
The Richmond building, bearing the name Television City, had been converted from a Heinz tinned food factory, also occupied in the past by the Wertheim Piano Company (from 1908–1935). Ownership has changed over the decades. The station was first licensed to the General Television Corporation Ltd., a consortium of two newspapers, The Argus and The Age, together with cinema chains Hoyts, Greater Union, Sir Arthur Warner’s Electronic Industries, JC William’s Theatres, Cinesound Productions, and radio stations 3XY, 3UZ, 3KZ.
GTV9 commenced colour test transmissions in October, 1974. The official changeover took place at 12.00am on Saturday 1 March 1975. In 1976, GTV9 became the first Australian television station to commence permanent 24-hour transmission. In 2001 the station commenced digital television broadcasting, in line with most other metropolitan stations. GTV9 continued broadcasting in analog on VHF9, with a digital simulcast on VHF8. In 2010 it was announced to the public and then staff, that after 54 years at Bendigo Street, GTV9 would move day-to-day operations including News and commercial sales to 717 Bourke Street, Docklands. On 25 October 2010, it was announced that GTV9 would begin producing larger scale studio productions, such as The Footy Show, Hey Hey its Saturday, and Millionaire Hotseat from the new Docklands Studios Melbourne.
On 28 February 2011, GTV9 broadcast its final live program – the 6pm edition of Nine News – from the Richmond Television City studios, and the following day began broadcasting news bulletins from 717 Bourke Street.

This website has no connection with the current owners of Channel Nine, Melbourne, and is owned and maintained by ex-GTV9 staffers from the 1956 era.

Last updated 8:00PM, October 26, 2020.